Monday 1 November 2010

Interview to an international student : Paula

Since this blog is active, we have been talking mainly about the foreign students that come to our university to develope their degrees, but it is also important to keep in mind that not only these kind of students are international but also the students of our university that go abroad to many different places to get a new experience and to study. This is the case of Paula a student from the University of Navarra, she is from Vigo, Spain,she is studying a degree in business management ande program er third year. Nowadays she takes part of an exchange program so she is now in Oslo (Norway) for 5 months.





1. Why did you decide to study abroad as a part of your university degree??
My degree already implies studying abroad for two semesters but I've always wanted to do it anyway. I think it is a really good experience for everyone because it is a way of proving to yourself how well you can adapt to an environment different than your own.
2. Why did you choose oslo??
I do not have a special reason for why I chose Oslo. I guess that I was curious about Norwegian culture and what the country had to offer. I was impressed by the amount of natural scenarios that can be visited and the challenges that a country like Norway presented. I was also concerned about how it would affect my studies.
3. What were your feelings when you finally arrived to Oslo?
I'm really enjoying my semester here but I have to admit that it was a little hard at first. i came a couple of months ago to a country I did not know anything about and with nobody there for me so I just had to find the way to do everything by myself. In the beginning, the cultural shock was huge but now, I think I can understand better how local people think and react to specific situations which is still a lot different than the way Spanish people do it.
4. What was the thing that surprised you the most about the country?
Maybe one of the things that surprised me the most is the freedom teachers give students inside and outside the classroom. In Norway, it is normal for a student to stand up to his professor's arguments and try to discuss them if he thinks they are not correct. It also "shocked" me a little bit how students are able to eat inside the classroom while the professor is speaking or leave while in the middle of a lecture; that attitude in Spain would be consider rude. Here, students are in charge of their own education; it is their own responsibility to attend the lectures and do their homework. I think this "freedom" makes them more competent and competitive.
5. Which places do you recommend to visit there??
I have to say that the whole country is worth the visit because each one of the different areas has something special and it is surrounded by a beautiful environment. In spite of this, in my opinion, the places I encourage people to visit would be: Oslo, as the biggest city is Norway; Stavanger; Bergen and Tromsø, situated in the north of the country where if you are lucky enough might have the chance to see the overwhelming Northern Lights.
6. What do you think about exchange programs?
I think it is a good thing to encourage people to discover another countries and cultures and, at the same time, give them the opportunity to discover themselves as individuals and as students. Nowadays, the world is becoming more and more interconnected and developing the ability of relating to other people is important if you want to succeed.
7.What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an international student or the most difficult thing you have had to face up to?
The advantages are both: academic, in the sense that you adapt yourself to a new system and you also have the opportunity to see things from a different perspective; and personal, you become more and more independent and you develop a greater sense of responsibility. On the other hand, there are also disadvantages like the fact that it takes time for you adapt to your life abroad and if you are there for a semester, just like I am, when you are getting used to it it is almost time to go home. The language can also be a disadvantage.
8. Tell us about  your balance of the exchange. would you recommend people this kind of programs??
My balance so far is great; I am having a really good time here. These past few months seemed to me like weeks instead: I've been traveling, meeting new people, experiencing Norwegian life, studying and I've even been working as an assistant to the professor in Spanish classes. I do not think my experience could have been better. Personally, I would recommend everyone to get involved in any kind of exchange program. It not only helps you academically, but it gives you the opportunity to explore and experience new ways of thinking and doing and to visit the most wonderful places, those you never thought they existed.







No comments:

Post a Comment